A few reasons why the US is filled with SUVs
- Low profile tires impact ride quality less on SUVs
- More upright seating position easier on joints and spine for many
- Getting into / out of an SUV is easier than a car 
Ease of use
- Easier to deal with car seats / kids
- Easier loading & unloading
- Higher head position
- Gives a better view of the road
- Helps keep eyes out of oncoming traffic's headlights
- Reviewers expect "sporty" handling from cars but not SUVs 
- "Sporty" expectations + low profile tires = harsh ride for cars
- SUVs have larger windows, even with the small window design trend
 Even when an SUV has a higher floor than a car (and many car-based SUVs do not), stepping up and in / down and out is easier than dropping down and in / lifting up and out for many people.
 Leading to a weird situation where a Jeep Wrangler has a nicer ride than most cars and many luxury cars.